White plantation shutters have been a classic in homes across the United States for years. These window treatments are prized for their energy efficiency, light control and clean lines that flatter all kinds of home styles. Additionally, white goes with just about any color, even as décor trends evolve over the years.
With white window treatments, it’s to be worried that the sun could discolor them. This is namely true if your home endures intense sunlight or faces south. It’s useful to know that not all window treatments are constructed the same. And that some plantation shutters are more exposed to yellowing than others. Here’s why.
Why Plantation Shutters Turn Yellow
The sun’s ultraviolet rays are responsible for giving you irritating sunburns. They’re also responsible for tarnishing your white plantation shutters, especially if you have inexpensive or overseas-made shutters. These damaging rays can eat away at protective coating over time. Once the coating is worn away, the sun could fade the paint and cause it to become yellow.
Routine cleaning will help keep your shutters looking their best. But once they start turning yellow, there isn’t much else you can do to fix it. The best way to stop your shutters from yellowing is to utilize high-quality models that are custom made for your home.
Why Cheap Plantation Shutters Are More Susceptible to Yellowing and Other Issues
Like many other things you buy for your home, you get what you pay for when it comes to window treatments. Here’s why cheap or off-the-shelf plantation shutters aren’t as good an investment as they initially look to be.
- They might not fit your windows very well. For top energy efficiency and light control, plantation shutters are required to fit seamlessly against the window frame. Ready-made plantation shutters are generally not a good fit, and your efficiency and light management can suffer as a result.
- They’re built from poor materials. Cheaper plantation shutters are made from low-quality materials, such as vinyl and composite, and are often hollow. Along with yellowing, they can also be more vulnerable|exposed|susceptible]512] to distortion, cracking or chipping.
- They’re painted with low-quality paint. Cheap paint frequently contains volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These chemicals can be emitted by your shutters over time, producing headaches and eye and nasal irritation in some people. It’s also helpful to know that poor-quality paint may not include a protective UV coating, which can hasten the yellowing process.
- They’re made overseas. You never know what kind of quality you can get with plantation shutters that are made overseas. They are often lower quality than ones that are made in the U.S..
- They may demand continuous maintenance. Poorly made plantation shutters often need frequent maintenance if any parts come loose or louvers begin to wilt. In some cases, you may not be able to fix sagging louvers if your shutters don’t have tension screws.
- They don’t come with a warranty.
Louver Shop of Louisville Plantation Shutters Are Guaranteed Against Yellowing and Other Problems
At Louver Shop of Louisville, we’ve been building our company on exceptional plantation shutters for some time. Here’s why investing in our shutters is a good decision for your home.
- Our plantation shutters are customized for your home. No two homes or windows are the same, and your window treatments ought to reflect that. We begin our process with a free, in-home consultation so you can compare all available options up close. From material to louver size and frame style, you’ll be able to fully customize your plantation shutters. And with our free professional measurements and free standard installation, you’re guaranteed to get a perfect fit with your new shutters.
- Our plantation shutters are made from premium materials. Whether you pick our polymer LouverWood® shutters for top energy efficiency or Heritage shutters for the most timeless look, you’re getting window treatments made from premium materials. We use an exclusive polymer and furniture-grade hardwoods in our shutters that not only look great but perform for years.
- Our plantation shutters are painted with exclusive paints. Louver Shop of Louisville plantation shutters are finished with proprietary water-based paints. These paints are safer for use since they’re nontoxic and low in VOCs. They’re also resistant against fading and yellowing.
- Our plantation shutters are made in the USA. We manufacture your custom shutters at our plant in Gainesville, Georgia. Not only are they higher quality, this means you’ll also obtain them much sooner, generally within a few weeks.
- Our plantation shutters are low maintenance. Our shutters are straightforward to clean and won’t need to be tightened.
- Our plantation shutters are backed by one of the best limited warranties. Louver Shop of Louisville plantation shutters are guaranteed against some of the most common issues, including yellow, fading, cracking, peeling, sagging and warping. They also come with a lifetime limited warranty on moving parts, workmanship and the painted finish.
Start Designing Your Custom Plantation Shutters with Louver Shop of Louisville Today
Plantation shutters are an investment in your sense of style. Choosing the right ones means you’ll enjoy gorgeous shutters for years with stress-free performance. With your vision and our expertise, you’re certain to create window treatments you’ll love. Begin elevating your home with Louver Shop of Louisville by requesting your free, in-home consultation today! Call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule your appointment now.